Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Astana is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Astana to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Baursaki: are a variety of doughnut-like pastry.
- Gutap: deep-fried herb fritters.
- Kazy (қазы): horse ribs meat, intestines, pepper, garlic.
- Kurt (құрт): cheese made by pressing thick sour cream.
- Shyrtyldak (crackler): melted fat with sugar.
- Sur-Yet: dried meat.
- Tandyr-nan: flour, water, yeast and salt.
- Ulpershek: horse's heart and fat.
- Zhal: smoked lard from horse's neck.
- Zhaya: salted and smoked meat from horse's hip and hind leg.
- Ak Sorpa: white broth.
- Balyk Sorpa: a fish broth.
- Kuiryk-bauyr: sour milk, salted broth and thinly sliced meat.
- Rice Sorpa: beef or lamb meet, onion, rice, dried dill, salt, bay leaves.
- Sut Kozhe: millet, milk, water, butter, salt.
- Kazakhstan Salad: beef, eggs, milk, potato, cucumber, carrot, peas, butter.
- Shalgam: radishes, pepper, carrots, onions, garlic, salt, oil, vinegar, sugar, Cayenne, salt.
 Main courses
- Basturma: a cut of meat that is dried and cured with a mix of spices.
- Beshbarmak: lamb (sometimes horse meat), salt, water, onions, chives, carrots, parsley, black pepper, oil.
- Kazakh Lemon Chicken: chicken meat, ginger, paprika, garlic cloves, onions, green olives, lemon, chicken stock, saffron, nutmeg, black pepper, salt.
- Koten: sausage.
- Kuyrdak: a meat stew.
- Lagman: vegetable-noodle stew.
- Manti (мәнті): dumplings filled with meat, then boiled or steamed.
- Millet Porridge with Pumpkin: millet, milk, pumpkin, sugar, salt.
- Palaw: rice with meat.
- Sabzi piez: carrots, onions, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, scallions, cilantro, cider vinegar, butter, salt.
- Shuzhuk: horsemeat sausages.
- Stewed mutton: mutton, melted fat, carrot, onions, tomatoes, greens, salt.
- Balkaimak: flour, sour cream, sugar, honey.
- Boortsog (бауырсақ): butter, salt water, milk, yeast, flour, eggs and sugar.
- Chak-Chak (шек-шек): flour, eggs, milk, salt, sugar, butter.
- Kuimak: thick pancakes.
- Samsa: pastries stuffed with a mixture of walnuts, sugar and butter.
- Shelpek: flour, milk, butter, sour cream, yeasts, water, sugar, oil.
- Zhanyshpa: millet, butter, sour cream and sugar.
 Fast food
- Damdy-Nan: flat cakes.
- Kattama: flour, water, dry yeast, salt, butter, onions, vegetable oil.
- Tostik (Brisket): sheep's brisket, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, sourcraut, salt and pepper.
 Street food
- Zhauburek (kabob): meat roasted over a fire.
 Drinks (Non-alcoholic)
- Irimshik: milk, rennet.
- Katyk (Ayran): buttermilk.
- Kumis (қымыз): diary product made of mare's milk.
- Shubat (шұбат; chal): fermented camel's milk.
 Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Derbes: beer.
- Karagandinskoye: beer.
- Shymkentskoye: beer.
- Snow Queen Vodka: vodka.
- Tien Shan: beer.