Traditional Cayenne Food
Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Cayenne is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Cayenne to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Cassava Pone Guyanese-style: a kind of pie made with cassava.
- Cayenne pepper: a hot, red chili pepper used to flavor dishes and for medicinal purposes.
- Dahl Puri: fried flat bread with lentils.
- French Guianese Roti: flat bread.
- Scallops gratin with garlic and lemon: baked scallops with the garlic, lemon and butter.
- Pimentade: fish in chili sauce.
- Ackee and saltfish: salt cod sautéed with boiled ackee, onions, Scotch Bonnet, tomatoes, and spices.
- Aloo roti: flat breads made with potatoes.
- Beef Curry: a kind of beef stew served usually with rice.
- Blaff: fish cooked in a spicy broth.
- Bouillon d'awara: soup on the base of fruit of awara with smoked chicken, pork, shrimps, etc.
- Cheese puffs: are fried puffs made with cheese.
- Colombo: a curry stew prepared of pork, lamb, chicken.
- Cook-up Rice with Ochro: rice prepared with beef and ochro.
- Curry chicken: chicken in an onion, carrot, tomato, and yogurt-based sauce, flavored with spices.
- Egg curry: boiled eggs in curry gravy.
- French beans: green beans that are steamed, boiled, stir-fried, or baked.
- Fricassés: a kind of stuffed buns.
- Fried Puff Squares: flaky and crunchy fried pastries.
- Fried rice: usually made from left overs of boiled rice, that is fried.
- Gibier de bois: game dish, from local forests animals.
- Jerk chicken: chicken prepared with Jerk spices.
- Les Accras: cod fritters.
- Pepper pot: a stewed meat dish, strongly flavored.
- Spiced chicken pilau: rice with chicken and spices.
- Chocolate Marquise: chocolate base dessert.
- Coconut ice cream: creamy ice cream with coconut flakes and flavor.
- Flan: a French dessert made with melted sugar, eggs, condensed milk and vanilla.
- Floating island: meringue floating on crème anglaise (a vanilla custard).
- Mauby: a tree bark-based beverage.
- Dawet: coconut drink.
- Kasiri: cassava home made beer.
- Peanut punch: a drink made of peanut butter, milk, sugar and sometimes spices.
- Rum: a distilled alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane by-products.
- Tafia: a kind of cheap rum.
- Ti'Punch: rum-based mixed drink.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=136 />