Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Genoa is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Genoa to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Cima alla Genovese: beef breast stuffed with a mix of brain, lard, onion, carrot, peas, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Farinata: a thin pancake made of chickpea flour, water and olive oil.
- Focaccia: a kind of Italian bread, flat, reminding pizza.
- Mosciame: tuna, salt, olive oil, chopped tomatoes, almonds.
- Panigacci: flat bread, flour, water, salt, cheese and olive oil.
- Pesto: a traditional Italian sauce originated from Genoa.
- Torte di Verdura: it consists of vegetables mixed with herbs, cheese, flour and olive oil, and baked.
- Buridda: an Italian fish stew with vegetables and condiments such as garlic, celery and fennel.
- Ligurian Mussel Soup: it consists of mussels, garlic, parsley and other ingredients.
- Minestrone: a variety of thick Italian soups made with beans, onions, celery, carrots, stock, and tomatoes.
- Sbira: broth, bread, potatoes, mushrooms, olive oil, tripe, butter, onions.
- Caprese: sliced buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and basil.
- Italian Antipasto Salad: salami, cheese, cucumbers, olives, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and other vegetables.
- Panzanella: tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, basil and bread.
 Main courses
- Cappon Magro: Genoese salad of seafood and vegetables over hard tack arranged into a decorative pyramid and dressed with a rich sauce.
- Polenta: dish made from boiled cornmeal.
- Ravioli al Sugo: ravioli is a traditional Italian pasta filled with either cheese or meat with a variety of spices.
- Seppie in zimino: cuttlefish casserole.
- Soffritto: a flavour base for different dishes such as pasta sauce, soups.
- Tomaxelle: it consists of veal rolls filled with mushrooms, cheese garlic.
- Torta Pasqualina: cake, green vegetables, cheese, eggs.
- Trofiette: Ligurian pasta, durum wheat semolina and water, basil, garlic, olive oil.
- Amaretti: Italian cookies with a strong flavour of almonds.
- Baci di Dama: are the small cookies that are filled with chocolate that were created in Piedmont.
- Biscotti del Lagaccio:wheat flour, yeast, sugar, butter, salt and a pinch of sweet fennel or anise.
- Canestrelli: these are small daisy-shaped cookies typical for the zone of Liguria.
- Castagnaccio: chestnut cake is baked from chestnut flour, water, olive oil, pine nuts and raisins.
- Granita: semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavorings.
- Latte Fritto: Ligurian sweet delicatessen prepared of the thick milk cream and then fried in the olive oil.
- Pan Dolce: this is a sweet, fruit bread usually baked around Christmas holidays.
- Risiny: flour, sugar and butter, eggs, lemon peel.
- Sacripantina: vanilla sponge cake, zabaione cream, and rum.
 Fast food
- Fugassa: Easter delicious cake.
- Pizza Genovese: flour, water, salt, olive oil and yeast, olives, onions, cheese and acciughe.
 Street food
- Caldarroste: fried chestnuts, salt, melted butter.
- Focaccia di Recco:olive oil, flour, water, cheese.
- Pizza al Taglio: pizza baked in large rectangular trays. Ingredients are tomato sauce and cheese.
 Drinks (Non-alcoholic)
- Aranciata San Pellegrino: mineral water with carbonation and in some cases fruit juices.
- Caffè Macchiato: an espresso with a small amount of milk.
- Chinotto: made of juice of the Citrus myrtifolia fruit and other herbal extracts.
- Crodino: water, sugar, aromatic herbs, quinine.
 Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Limoncello: Italian lemon liqueur.
- Cynar: Made from 13 herbs and plants, dark brown, bittersweet flavor.
- Amaretto: Sweet almond-flavoured liqueur, base of apricot or almond pits.
- Galliano: Herbal liqueur, anise, lavender, mint, vanilla, cinnamon, coriander.
- Dried Apricot Liqueur: Dried apricots, vodka or brandy, almonds.
- Cigliegiolo: Amarena cherries, sugar, water and alcohol.
- Nocino: Dark brown liqueur, green walnuts, spirit.
- Chianti: red wine, flavour of plum, cherry, strawberry, almonds and other fruit.
 Suggest new dishSuggest new dish
Call For Contributions
If not familiar with adding pages to wiki, please use the submit form to upload a dish description or photo.