Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Ghent is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Ghent to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Ardennes Paté: meat with thyme and lemon slices, and accompanied by toast.
- Belgian Almond Bread: toasted almonds and thin, crisp, crunchy cookie.
- Tomate-crevette: a tomato filled with shrimps in mayonnaise.
- Belgian Potato Soup: potatoes, butter, onions, mushrooms, chicken stock, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, whipping cream or light cream.
- Chervil Soup: creamy potato soup with a hint of aniseed from the chervil.
- Paling In 't Groen: eel in green sauce.
- Belgian Endive Salad: Belgian endives, green apples, almonds, dressing.
- Luikse sla: eggs, potatoes, shallots, bacon, green beans, butter, chervil, salt and pepper.
- Salade Liégeoise: green beans, potatoes, smoked or salted bacon, white onions and vinegar.
 Main courses
- Belgian Meatballs Braised in Beer: ground meats, bread crumbs, shallots, parsley, eggs, nutmeg.
- Belgian Spinach in Cheese Sauce: spinach, salt, unsalted butter, flour, milk, Swiss cheese, pepper, nutmeg.
- Braised Stuffed Cabbage: cabbage leaves, olive oil, onion, basmati and wild rice, chestnuts, cranberries, vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar, honey.
- Flemish Beef Stew: stew meat, brown or dark Belgian beer, carrots, onion, garlic, flour, caraway seeds, bay leaf, pepper, and salt.
- Gegratineerd Witloof: endives, ham, flour, chicory, butter, water, garlic, milk, Gruyere cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Kippenwaterzooi: chicken stew with vegetables.
- Konijn Met Bier: rabbit, fat, onion, carrots, apple, smoked bacon, water, dark beer or wine, salt, thyme, sugar, bay leaf, mustard, bread.
- Mussels and Fries: mussels, unsalted butter, onion, dry white wine, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise.
- Stoemp: mashed potatoes, vegetables, sausages or ham. It can also include cream, bacon, herbs and spices.
- Waterzooi: fish or chicken, cream, butter, carrots, leeks, potatoes, egg yolk, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Belgian Buttermilk Soup: flour, buttermilk, milk, beaten egg yolks, and brown sugar.
- Streusel Apple Tart: a tart made from shortcrust pastry.
- Vlaai: flour, yeast, milk, eggs, butter, sugar, salt.
 Fast food
- Belgian Cheese Croquettes: butter, flour, milk, pepper, nutmeg, Swiss cheese, eggs, breadcrumb, oil.
- Mitraillette: a demi-baguette, fried meat, salted French fries, sauce.
 Street food
- Belgian Waffle: yeast, batter, flour, eggs, milk, vanilla sugar, salt.
- Frites: deep-fried potatoes, oil, salt, spices.
- Pancake: flour, milk, eggs, sugar, water, butter, baking powder.
 Drinks (Non-alcoholic)
 Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Gueuze: a type of lambic, a Belgian beer.
- Kriek: a style of Belgian beer, made by fermenting lambic with sour Morello cherries.
- Leffe Beer: a Belgian beer brand.
- Pauwel Kwak: an amber, 8,4% abv Belgian beer.
- Peket: Belgian name of gin in Walloon.