Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Hanoi is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Hanoi to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Bánh bèo: a rice pancake filled with savory ingredients.
- Bánh bột lọc: tiny rice dumplings stuffed with shrimp and ground pork.
- Bánh mì trứng: a sandwich made with scrambled eggs and canned sardines.
- Bánh xèo: pancakes made of rice flour, water, turmeric powder, stuffed with slivers of fatty pork, shrimp, and bean sprouts and then pan fried.
- Bò lá lốt: spiced beef rolled in a pepper leaf and grilled.
- Chả giò: minced pork roll.
- Chạo tôm: barbecued shrimp surimi on a sugar cane stick.
- Giò lụa: a type of sausage.
- Bánh canh: a thick noodle that can be made from a mixture of rice and tapioca flour.
- Bò kho: a meat soup.
- Bún bò Huế: a spicy beef noodle soup.
- Bún măng vịt: bamboo shoots and duck noodle soup.
- Bún Ốc: soup made of vermicelli and snails.
- Bún riêu: a meat rice vermicelli soup.
- Canh chua: a sour soup made with fish, pineapples, tomatoes, herbs, beansprouts, tamarind, and various kinds of vegetables.
- Cháo: rice congee.
- Hủ Tiếu: a noodle soup.
- Lẩu: sour soup, with many vegetables, meats and seafood, as well as some spicy herbs.
- Mì bò viên: an egg noodle soup with beef meatballs and raw steak.
- Phở: noodle soup, usually served with beef or chicken.
- Súp măng cua: A blended asparagus-crab combination soup.
- Gỏi đu đủ: papaya salad made with shredded papaya, herbs, various meats such as shrimp, slices of pork, liver, or meat jerky, herbs.
- Goi Ga: chicken and cabbage salad.
- Gỏi Huế rau muống: a salad made with water spinach.
- Gỏi ngó sen: lotus stem salad, with shrimp and pork or chicken.
 Main courses
- Bánh cuốn: a crêpe-like roll made from a thin, wide sheet of rice flour filled with ground pork, minced wood ear mushroom.
- Bánh chưng: sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves and stuffed with mung bean paste, lean pork and black pepper.
- Bánh hỏi: thin noodle that is woven into intricate bundles.
- Bún chả: a combination vermicelli plate.
- Bún chả giò: spring rolls with vermicelli noodles.
- Bún thịt nướng: rice vermicelli mixed with fresh vegetables and topped with hot barbecued pork.
- Cơm chiên Dương Châu: fried rice.
- Cơm gà rau thơm: mint chicken rice.
- Cơm tấm: rice served with grilled pork.
- Mì Quảng: a noodle dish.
- Mì xào dòn: crispy deep-fried egg noodles, topped with a wide array of seafood, vegetables and shrimp in a gravy sauce.
- Bánh Flan: custard dessert served with caramel sauce.
- Chè: a sweet dessert made from beans and sticky rice.
- Chuối Chiên: banana fried in a batter and often served hot with cold ice cream, usually vanilla or coconut.
- Da Ua: condensed milk that can be served cool, soft or frozen.
- Rau câu: gelatin dessert cake made with agar and flavored with coconut milk, pandan or other flavors.
- Xôi: sticky rice with coconut milk.
 Fast food
- Bánh bao: a ball-shaped dumpling with pork or chicken meat, onions, eggs, mushrooms and vegetables.
- Bánh mì kẹp thịt: a sandwich made with thinly sliced pickled carrots and daikon (do chua), cucumbers, cilantro, chili peppers, pâté, mayonnaise and various meat fillings or tofu.
- Bánh Pâté Chaud: a meat-filled pastry.
- Nem nướng: grilled meatballs.
 Street food
- Bánh Bột Chiên: fried cakes.
- Bò bía: crunchy rice paper rolls filled with jicama, eggs, chinese sausages, peanuts.
- Gỏi cuốn: rice paper rolls that often include shrimp, herbs, pork, rice vermicelli and other ingredients.
 Drinks (Non-alcoholic)
- Cà phê nâu đá: strong iced coffee with milk.
- Nước mía: sugar cane juice extracted from squeezing sugar cane plant, served with ice.
- Rau má: pennywort juice made from blending fresh pennywort leaves with water and sugar until dissolved.
- Sinh tố: a fruit smoothie.
- Sữa đậu nành: soy milk.
- Trà đá: ice tea.
 Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Bia hơi: beer.
- Rượu quốc lủi: a distilled liquor made of rice.