Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Karachi is complete without tasting the traditional Karachi food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Karachi to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Chapatti: an unleavened flatbread.
- Chhola Dhabal: baked bread with chick peas in thick gravy.
- Dahi bhallay: lentil dumplings in yogurt.
- Kutti: a dish made of the flesh of an unborn fetus from an animal.
- Paratha: a flat bread usually filled with vegetables like boiled potatoes, leaf vegetables, etc.
- Pappad: a thin, crisp Indian cracker or flat bread.
- Puri: an unleavened Indian bread.
- Tandoor bread: a type of bread baked in a clay oven called Tandoor.
- Kafta Salad: made of tomatoes, green pepper, cucumbers, slices of lime, sumuk powder.
- Beh: cooked with spices lotus root.
- Besan ji Bhaji: dough rectangles with sauce.
- Bhat: boiled rice.
- Bhugge Chawal: rice cooked in flavored spices with vegetables.
- Bhugi Bhaji: a vegetable stew made of potatoes, peas, eggplant and spices.
- Biryani: rice made with spices, meat, fish, eggs or vegetables.
- Bugha Chawar: a browned rice dish.
- Chaat: fried dough, with various ingredients, can be different in taste.
- Curry Chawal: a tomato curry made with kidney beans and served with rice.
- Dal: a preparation of pulses (dried lentils, peas or beans) which are stripped of their outer hulls and split.
- Haleem: thick dish made of wheat, lentils and meat.
- Keemo: a spicy ground lamb meet with baby green peas.
- Lahori Charga: a tastful chicken delicacy made with an exotic mixture of fried spices.
- Mithi Loli: a thick chappati, made from dough and served with spicy dishes.
- Mutton Korma: a rich and spicy meat curry.
- Nihari: a curry made from beef shank, rarely lamb and spices.
- Pullao: a dish made with rice and meat, more often chicken in India.
- Sai Bhaji: a green vegetable dish.
- Seyal Bhaji: a mixed vegetables curry dish cooked with onion garlic paste.
- Seyal Mani: cooked chappati in green sauce with tomato, coriander and spices.
- Seyal Pallo: the pomfret fish in garlic sauce.
- Sindhi Curry: vegetable dish.
- Boorani: a side dish made with yogurt and spinach or vegetables.
- Falooda: cold dessert or beverage in South Asia made by mixing rose syrup with vermicelli and tapioca pearls along with either milk or water.
- Ice cream soda: a beverage that consists of ice cream in either a soft drink or in a mixture of flavored syrup and carbonated water.
- Karachi Biscuits: famous fruit, chocolate, almond biscuits.
- Karachi Halwa: sweet confections based on nuts, different seeds, flour, dried fruits, sugar, etc.
- Bun kebab: a Pakistani sandwich that consists of a spicy patty, onions, and chutney or raita in a hamburger or hotdog bun.
- Shami kebab: a meat dish made of small patty minced mutton or beef, ground chickpeas and spices.
- Gol Gappay: a round, hollow puri, fried crisp and filled with a mixture of water, tamarind, chili, chaat masala, potato, onion and chickpeas.
- Sajji: whole lamb or chicken roasted over coals.
- Gola Ganda: cone filled with crushed ice topped with flavored sugar syrup.
- Khi-r-ni: dessert made with milk, vermicelli, saffron, nuts and others.
- Lassi: yogurt-based drink of India and Pakistan.
- Limca: a lemon and lime flavoured carbonated soft drink.
- Pakola: flavoured soft drinks.
- Sherbet: a drink prepared from fruits or flower petals.
- Thadal: a cooling and energizing drink, made from water, sugar, milk and Asian seeds and spices.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=61 />
Call For Contributions
We need your help with the following Karachi dishes. We need dish description as well as photos.
- - Kutti: a dish made of the flesh of an unborn fetus from an animal.
- - Mithi Loli: a thick chappati, made from dough and served with spicy dishes.
- - Seyal Mani: cooked chappati in green sauce with tomato, coriander and spices.
- - Khi-r-ni: dessert made with milk, vermicelli, saffron, nuts and others.
If not familiar with adding pages to wiki, please use the submit form to upload a dish description or photo.