Traditional Ljubljana Food
Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Ljubljana is complete without tasting the traditional Ljubljana food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Ljubljana to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Kranjska klobasa: sausage made from pork, beef and bacon.
- Kraški pršut: smoked ham.
- Ljubljana egg dish: milk-soaked bread, hard-cooked eggs and morels baked in a lemon-herb custard.
- Jota: soup made from beans, pickled turnip and smoked pork.
- Prežganka: soup with flour and eggs.
- Ričet: a thick barley soup.
- Vipavska jota: similar to jota.
- Octopus salad: salad made of boiled octopus, kernel corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes, olives, onions, green and red peppers.
- Bograč: goulash, meat dish stewed in a pot with potatoes.
- Bujta repa: pork with pickled grated turnips.
- Pirh: boiled and decorated eggs.
- Grilled John Dory: grilled fish.
- Kmečka pojedina: made with pickled turnip and smoked meat (pork, ham, etc).
- Matevž: puréed beans with cracklings.
- Obara: usually dormouse or other meat stew.
- Žganci: a dish made of maize, wheat or buckwheat flour, water, cooking oil and salt, served with milk or honey.
- Apricot and apple strudel: sweet pastry with apple and apricot filling.
- Homemade lemon cheesecake: a kind of pie filled with cheese and lemon filling.
- Kremna Rezina (Kremšnita): a vanilla and custard cream cake.
- Potica: sweet nut roll pastry.
- Prekmurska gibanica: a layered cake, similar to strudel.
- Štruklji: pastry with filling.
- Burek (Slovenia): a pastry made from layers of dough with different fillings.
- Ćevapi (Ćevapčići): grilled minced meat.
- Horse burger: burger with horse meat.
- Ljubljanske skutne palačinke: Ljubljana Cottage Cheese Pancakes.
- Pizza: oven-baked, flat, disc-shaped bread typically topped with a tomato sauce, cheese, sausages, etc.
- Pljeskavica: Balkanic hamburger.
- Falafel: a ball or patty made from ground chickpeas and fava beans, usually served in a pita, topped with salad.
- Bambus: a drink made by mixing wine and cola or wine and fanta.
- Belokranjec: Slovenian dry white wine.
- Bizeljčan: Slovenian wine that can be both red and white.
- Cviček: a Slovenian wine from the Lower Carniola region of Slovenia, composed of various grapes.
- Metliška Črnina: Slovenian dry red wine.
- Pelinkovac: a bitter liqueur based on wormwood (the name of the herb in Croatian being pelin).
- Pinela: wine made from old and rare Slovenian grape pinela.
- Traminec: dry white wine of high quality.
- Zelén: white wine made from indigenous Slovenian grapes.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=149 />