Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Managua is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Managua to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Güirila: tortilla made from young white corn.
- Nacatamal: pastry filled with pork or chicken, tomatoes, rice, garlic, onions, potatoes, and mint leaves.
- Quesillo: a thick corn tortilla wrapped around soft cheese, pickled onions, and a sauce of sour cream or liquid cheese and vinegar.
- Tostones: fried plantains.
- Sopa de Albondigas: soup made with meatballs.
- Sopa de frijoles: soup made with beans.
- Sopa de mondongo: soup made from diced tripe and vegetables.
- Sopa de pescado: shrimp, clams, fish, hake, tomato, flour, wine, salt, oil and other ingredients.
- Sopa de pastora: turnip, leeks, onion, butter, broth, fried bread squares.
- Sopa de pato: soup made with duck.
- Sopa de queso: maíz, cheese, eggs, salt, accept, Chile dulce, Agria orange and other ingredients.
- Sopa de verduras: vegetable soup.
- Sopa Siete Mares: seven seas soup.
- Black Bean and Cucumber Salad: black beans, cucumbers, tomato, green pepper, celery, red onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Ensalada de Aguacate y Tomate: avocado and tomato salad.
- Ensalada de jicama y naranja: habanero chili powder, oranges, jicama, scallions,cilantro.
- Nicaraguan Mixed Vegetable Salad: red kidney beans, green beans, cabbage, tomatoes, salad oil, cider vinegar, sugar, chili powder, avocado.
- Albóndigas: meatballs.
- Arroz a la valenciana: rice, chicken, chorizo, butter, onion, red bell pepper, tomatoes,tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Berenjenas rellenas: eggplants, minced meat pollo, bacon, tomatoes and other ingredients.
- Camarones al ajillo: garlic shrimp.
- Carne desmenuzada: beef chuck, water, olive oil, onion, tomato, red bell pepper, sour orange juice, salt and pepper.
- Carne enchorizada: ground meat with vegetables.
- Chicharrón: fried pork rinds.
- Costillas de cerdo asadas: pork ribs, laurel, black pepper, salt, cornstarch, broth.
- Gallina rellena : stuffed chicken.
- Gallo Pinto: pre-cooked rice and beans fried together.
- Guacamole nica: hard-boiled eggs, breaded pipian, fried fritters of potatoes, cheese and other vegetables.
- Indio Viejo: meat, onions, garlic, sweet pepper and tomato, vegetables and broth.
- Lengua: beef tongue.
- Oxtail Stew: beef oxtails, beef stock, yellow onion, tomato, garlic.
- Vaho: a mix of meat, green plantains and yuca cooked in banana leaves.
- Cajeta de Coco: coconut, the coconut’s water, yucca and "dulce" candy.
- Maduros: platano bananas, milk, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla.
- Mazapan: confection.
- Pio Quinto: cake drenched in rum, topped with a custard, and dusted with cinnamon.
- Raspados: ice-based dessert.
- Rosquillas: corn dough with cheese, egg, butter and lard
- Tres leches cake: a sponge cake soaked in three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream.
- Turron: a confection, typically made of honey, sugar, and egg white, with toasted almonds or other nuts.
- Carne asada: roasted beef.
- Enchiladas: tortilla filled with a beef and rice mixture.
- Tacos al Pastor: tacos made with spit-grilled meat.
- Brochetas: chicken, fish or any other meat and a salsa with sugar, tomatoes, lemon, vinegar and oil.
- Carne Pinchada: meat (chicken, beef) marinated in an alcoholic sauce and served on a stick.
- Churrasco con Chimichurri: grilled meat with green sauce.
- Vigorón: chopped cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and chile marinated in vinegar and salt, yucca and chicharrones wrapped in plantain.
- Atol: drink made of masa (corn hominy flour), water, piloncillo (unrefined cane sugar), cinnamon, vanilla and optional chocolate or fruit.
- Avena: an oatmeal drink.
- Cacao: hot chocolate.
- Caimito: a drink made from Caimito, a tropical fruit also known as the "cainito" and the "star apple".
- Chicha de maiz: a maize drink often flavored with banana or vanilla flavors.
- Limonada cimarrona: a lemonade type.
- Masala chai: spiced tea.
- Nancite: yellow cherries drink.
- Papalon: beach grape drink.
- Semilla de jicaro: drink made with cold milk and sugar, jicaro seeds ground with rice and spices.
- Flor de Caña: rum.
- La Victoria: beer.
- Macuá: a cocktail made with white rum and fruit juices, usually lemon and guava juice.
- Toña: beer.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=120 />