Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to New York is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in New York to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Eggs Benedict: it consists of two halves of an English muffin, topped with ham or bacon, poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce.
- Oysters Rockefeller: consists of oysters on the half-shell that have been topped with various other ingredients and are then baked or broiled.
- Manhattan Clam Chowder: it has clear broth, plus tomato for red color and flavor.
- Waldorf salad: made of fresh apples, celery and walnuts, dressed in mayonnaise, and usually served on a bed of lettuce.
- Lobster Newberg: an American seafood dish made from lobster, butter, cream, cognac, sherry, eggs, and Cayenne pepper.
- General Tso's chicken: a sweet, deep-fried chicken dish.
- Steak Diane: pan-fried filet mignon with a sauce made from the seasoned pan juices.
- Pasta primavera: a dish that consists of pasta and fresh vegetables.
- Kebobs: bite-size chunks, threaded on a skewer, are quick cooking and extra flavorful.
- Pretzel (Bretzel): a type of baked food made from dough in a unique knot-like shape.
- Bananas foster: made from bananas and vanilla ice cream, and sauce.
- Black and white cookie: flour, sugar, egg, fat, milk or water and ammonium bicarbonate or baking powder.
- New York-style cheesecake: it relies upon heavy cream or sour cream.
- Red Velvet cake: a popular cake with a dark red, bright red or red-brown color.
- Bagels and lox: toasted bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon.
- Knish: it consists of a filling covered with dough that is either baked, grilled, or deep fried.
- New York Hard Roll: a typically crusty round roll made from wheat flour, barm, malt, water and salt.
- New York-style pastrami:traditional New York pastrami is made from the navel end of the brisket.
- New York-style Pizza: it is known for its large, wide, thin and foldable shape.
- Cel-Ray: a soft drink with a celery flavor.
- Egg Cream: a beverage consisting of chocolate syrup, milk, and soda water.
- Yoo-Hoo: an American chocolate beverage.
|Featured Local Dishes
||Blog Feature Guideline
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=29 />