Potato salad is a dish made from potatoes, the versions of which vary throughout different regions and countries of the world. Although called a salad, it is generally considered a side dish, as it generally accompanies the main course.
Potato salad is often served with barbecue, roasts, hot dogs, fried chicken, hamburgers and cold sandwiches. It is generally considered casual fare, and as such is typically served at picnics, outdoor barbecues, and other casual meals and events.
It is a popular menu choice of cooks preparing food for a large number of people, because it is easily made in large quantities, it can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until needed, and requires inexpensive ingredients.
General versions of potato salad include:
- salad made with baby potatoes, cooked in their jackets and left whole (skin on)
- larger potatoes, cooked in their jackets and then peeled and cut
- salad with a mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, sour cream or milk dressing
- salad with vinegar dressing
- salad with bacon, anchovy|anchovies, or Mustard (condiment)|mustard.
- salad with a fresh herb or dill dressing and/or chives, scallions, tarragon, gherkins, capers or other items.
- salad with raw onions, cooked onions or pickling|pickled onions.
- salad with tomatoes or green beans.
- salad with hard-boiled egg (food) eggs (a combination of potato salad and egg salad)
- salad with ham, pickled cucumber|pickles, sweet corn|corn, hard-boiled egg and tomato (known in France as salade piemont)
- salad with orange (fruit)|orange slices, Worcestershire sauce, bacon, and chives.
Different versions of potato salad are served at different temperatures. Most potato salads are served at room temperature, though the southern German variant may be served warm as well. In the U.S. and northern Germany potato salads are commonly served chilled and require refrigeration beforehand.
To add a photo, please follow this submit form.
Potato salad, en.wikipedia.org
Polish Potato Salad Recipe - Sałatka Kartofli or Sałatka Ziemniaczana, easteuropeanfood.about.com
Polish Potato Salad, www.food.com