Traditional Riga Food
Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Riga is complete without tasting the traditional Riga food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Riga to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Herring Appetizer: salt herring fillets, chopped tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, ripe olives, dill, parsley, lettuce leaves.
- Jāņi (summer solstice) Cheese: cheese with caraway seeds, made of skim milk, dry cottage cheese, sour cream, eggs, butter and salt.
- Pork in Aspic: pork meat, eggs, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, and bay leaves, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Abolu zupa ar kilkeniem (Latvian Apple Soup with Apple Dumplings): soup made of apples, apple dumplings, white wine, lemon, fruit jam, bread crumbs and cinnamon.
- Biesu zupa (beet soup): beets, potatoes, rolled oats or rice, beef bouillon cubes.
- Frikadeļu zupa (meatball soup): potatoes, carrots and meatballs made of ground beef, bred crumbs, minced onions, eggs and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Kartupelu zupa ar senem (Latvian Potato-Wild Mushroom Soup): made of dried wild mushrooms, sweet paprika, bacon, potatoes, onions, heavy cream, salt, pepper, dill.
- Latvian Borscht: beef stock, bacon fat, red beetroots, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, tomatoes parsley, garlic, peppercorns and spices.
- Latvian Sour Cream Soup: consist water, barley, buttermilk, soured milk and sour cream.
- Sorrel Soup: soup made of water, sorrel leaves, potatoes, boiled eggs and salt.
- Zirņu zupa (pea soup): soup made from dried peas, onions, potatoes, carrots, cured and smoked pork or pork ribs.
- Latvian Herring Salad: herring fillets, chopped apples, cucumbers, onions, hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise and fresh cream.
- Rosols (Latvian Potato Salad): boiled potatoes and carrots, fresh cucumber, pickled cucumber, canned green peas, soy sausage, mayonnaise.
- Skābie kāposti (sauerkraut): shredded cabbage, salt.
- Baked Pork Ribs: pork ribs, potatoes, carrots, parsley, sautéed sauerkraut.
- Cūkas kājas (pig’s feet): pig’s feet, garlic, sugar, lemon, vinegar, salt and pepper
- Cutlets (Kotletes): minced ground beef or pork combined together with eggs, sour cream, grated potato, salt and pepper.
- Fish Cooked in Milk: fish fillets, onions, carrots, parsley, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Grey Peas with Bacon (Pelēkie zirņi ar speķi): grey peas, fried bacon pieces and onions, salt.
- Grūdenis (pig’s head stew): dried pork side of the head, pearl barley, peas, beans, potatoes, onions.
- Karbonāde (pork schnitzel): pork chops, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Karbonāde ar kaulu (chop with a bone): lamb or pork chops fried or grilled and served with mixed vegetables.
- Kartoflianki: potatoes, eggs, flour, salt, pepper, sour cream, butter.
- Pickled mushrooms: mushrooms marinated with salt, pepper, horseradish, garlic, black currant, onions, parsley, dried thyme, vinegar and olive oil.
- Pigs ears (cūkas ausis): pig’s ears, pearl barley.
- Pīrāgi (Latvian pastry): pastry filled with chopped meats, onions, fish, cabbage, cottage cheese.
- Sauteed meat with onions (Sīpolklopsis): pork or beef meat, salt, pepper, butter, onion rings, sour cream.
- Sautéed Sauerkraut: sauerkraut fried in butter with onions and carrots and seasoned with salt and sugar.
- Sklandrausis: a pie made of rye dough and filled with potato and carrot paste.
- Apple Slices: dough made of flour, milk, yeast, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and topped with apple slices.
- Biezpien Maizîtes: dough topped with cottage cheese, raisins, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and eggs.
- Debessmanna: cranberries (or other berries), water, sugar, semolina, milk.
- Ķīselis: sweetened juice, water, arrowroot, cornstarch or potato starch, fruits.
- Kliņģers: flour, milk, sugar, raisins, lemon, butter, yeast, egg yolk, saffron, cardamom and almonds.
- Latvian Honey Cake: flour, eggs, butter, honey, baking soda, milk, sour cream.
- Maizes zupa (Latvian Bread Soup): black rye bread, dried fruits (apples, raisins, prunes), sugar, cinnamon.
- Piparkukas (Pepper Cookies): are traditional Latvian Christmas Spice Cookies.
- Rupjmaizes kartojums (layered Latvian rye bread dessert): dry rye bread, loganberry, cowberry or cranberry jam, sugar, cream, cinnamon, vanilla essence.
- Birch juice (Bērzu sula): slightly sweet, thin syrupy-watery liquid drink.
- Caraway seed tea: caraway seeds, sugar, water.
- Kefir: fermented milk drink.
- Kvass: a fermented beverage made from black or regular rye bread.
- Linden blossom tea: dried linden blossoms (Tilia cordata Mill.), sugar or honey, water.
- Rūguspiens (Soured Milk): soured milk
- Aldaris alus (beer): light beer with a sweet bitter taste and a fresh hops aroma.
- Bauskas alus (beer): dark larger with a strong malt flavor, pleasant hops bitterness and malty-sweet aroma.
- Cēsu alus (beer): golden in color, malty with a hint of lemon aroma and with grainy, corn and some bitterness taste.
- Lāčplēša alus (beer): golden, amber in color, honey aroma and sweet with notes of malt and caramel taste.
- Piebalgas alus (beer): dark brown in color thick beer with a special malt aroma and flavor.
- Riga Black Balsam: herbal liqueur made with many different natural ingredients like plants, flowers, buds, juices, roots, oils and berries.
- Tērvetes alus (beer): slightly carbonated beer with a clear golden color, sweet-honey, a bit spicy, malty taste and aromatic hops scent.
- Užavas alus (beer): pale lager made of natural ingredients include hops, water, malt and yeast.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=88 />