Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Skopje is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Skopje to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Ajvar: relish, made principally from red bell peppers, with eggplant, garlic and chili pepper.
- Banitsa: dish made with phyllo pastry filled with cheese, spinach, pumpkin, meat or fish mixtures.
- Pindjur: spicy spread, generally made with aubergines.
- Pita: round pocket bread.
- Poğaça: puff pastry filled with white cheese or sour cream.
- Chorba od Kopriva: creamy nettle soup.
- Kokoshka Soupa: Macedonian chicken soup.
- Shkembe Chorba: tripe soup.
- Tarator: cold soup made with yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, walnuts and spices.
- Macedonian Eggplant Salad: eggplants, tomatoes, scallions, green peppers, sweet red peppers and cucumber.
- Malidzano: cream salad made from eggplants, feta cheese, walnuts and spices.
- Shopska Salata: cold salad made from tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, peppers and sirene.
 Main courses
- Ćevapi (Ćevapčići): Balkan dish of grilled minced meat.
- Gjuvech: meat and vegetable stew.
- Kačamak: dish made with cornmeal and potatoes, sometimes with feta cheese or Kaymak.
- Kjoftinja: meat balls.
- Moussaka: aubergine-based dish, made with tomato and minced meat.
- Mučkalica: stew made with pork, onions, peppers, tomatoes, beef broth and olive oil.
- Popara: milk, bread, butter, and salt.
- Sarma: dish of grape, cabbage or chard leaves rolled around a filling usually based on minced meat.
- Selsko Meso: Balkan pork and mushroom dish.
- Polneti Piperki: stuffed peppers, usually filled with rice and meat.
- Tavče Gravče: traditional Macedonian dish, prepared with fresh beans.
- Turli Tava: vegetable and meat stew.
- Twisted Zucchini Pie: pastry sheets with a filling prepared from boiled zucchini, chopped onions, beaten eggs and feta crumbs.
- Zelnik: layers of phyllo pastry filled with combinations of cheese, eggs, spinach, sorrel, browned meat, leeks and rice.
- Baklava: sweet pastry made of layers of filo pastry filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup or honey.
- Kanafeh: Arabic sweet made of very fine vermicelli-like pastry.
- Katerina Cake: 3-layered cake with a walnut, biscuits and raisins mixture spread in between.
- Ravanija: dessert made with eggs, sugar, coconut, milk and vanilla extract.
- Slatko: hin fruit preserve made of fruit or rose petals.
- Sutlijash: Macedonian rice pudding.
- Tulumba: fried batter soaked in syrup.
- Lokum: family of confections based on a gel of starch and sugar.
 Fast food
 Street food
- Burek: baked or fried filled pastries made of thin flaky dough.
 Drinks (Non-alcoholic)
- Boza: malt drink, made from maize (corn) and wheat.
- Kompot: drink made of dried or fresh fruit boiled in water with sugar.
- Turkish Coffee: coffee made from freshly roasted beans ground just before brewing.
 Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Mastika: liquor seasoned with mastic, a resin gathered from the mastic tree.
- Rakia: alcoholic beverage produced by distillation of fermented fruit.
- Skopsko: popular beer produced by The Skopje Brewery.