Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Tegucigalpa is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Tegucigalpa to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Anafres: hot black beans and cheese, eaten with chips.
- Corn Bread: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, eggs, milk, melted margarine.
- Honduras Cheese ball: cream cheese, pineapple, green peppers, onions, nuts, salt.
- Honduran Mango Chutney: mangoes, raisins, dates, green ginger, muster seed, sugar, salt, ginger, garlic, hot peppers, red wine vinegar, onions.
- Tostones: fried plantains.
- Zucchini Fritters: zucchini, egg, black pepper, salt, scallions, flour, olive oil, yoghurt.
- Bean soup: soup made with beans.
- Mondongo soup: tripe soup.
- Sopa De Caracol: conch soup is cooked in coconut milk and the conch's broth, with spices, yucca (cassava), cilantro, and green plantains known as guineo verde.
- Sopa Marinera: shrimp, crab, coconut milk, margarine, tomato, onion, green pepper, cilantro, parsley and other ingredients.
- Spicy Peanut Soup: onion, garlic, chili powder, red bell peppers, potatoes, carrots, celery, veggie stock, corn kernels, peanuts, vegetable oil.
- Tahini Soup: potatoes, chick peas, olive oil, garlic cloves, onion, cumin, coriander, veggie stock, tahini, spinach, salt, pepper, chili powder.
- Chismol: tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, cilantro, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cold Broccoli Salad: broccoli, oil, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, paprika, salt.
- Honduran Mango Avocado Salsa: mangoes, avocados, tomato, onions, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, vinegar.
- Arroz con pollo: rice with chicken.
- Bronzed Tilapia: tilapia, sweet paprika, onion powder, dry mustard, ground cumin, basil leaves, oregano leaves, olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Carne asada: roasted beef.
- Chicken Chili: raw chopped chicken, onion, jalapeno, garlic, spices, chili sauce, tomatoes, Dijon mustard, chicken broth, beans.
- Chilaquiles: tortillas covered in egg and deep fried.
- Chorizo: spicy sausages.
- Fried Yojoa Fish: fried fish served with pickled onions, pickled red cabbage, and deep fried plátanos tajaditas.
- Groundnut Stew: onions, tomatoes, kale, veggie stock, chili powder, peanut butter.
- Pollo horneado: baked chicken.
- Rice and beans: the dish is cooked in coconut milk with cilantro and spices.
- Tacos Fritos: tortillas filled with ground meat or chicken and rolled into a flute.
- Turkey Hash: turkey breast, green bell pepper, canola oil, onion, garlic, cumin, tomato, potato, chicken broth.
- Yuca con Chicharrón: yuca with raw cabbage and lemon and chicharrones.
- Carrot Cake: grated carrots, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, oil.
- Guava Jam: guava, sugar, lime juice.
- Honduran Baked Bananas: bananas, butter, sugar, cinnamon, milk.
- Honduran Key Lime Pie: key lime juice, eggs, condensed milk.
- Honduran Torrijas: light brown sugar, water, cinnamon, ladyfingers or sponge cake, eggs, nuts.
- Lemon cake: flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, margarine, grated orange peel, grated lemon peel, eggs, milk, lemon juice.
- Oatmeal Cake: eggs, sugar, vanilla, flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, coconut, margarine, milk, chopped nuts.
- Pastel de Tres Leches: cake soaked in three kinds of milk.
- Yucca Pie: flour, sugar, yucca, margarine, coconut milk, coffee, vanilla, allspice, nutmeg, salt, baking powder.
- Catrachitas: deep fried tortilla chips covered with mashed refried beans, cheese and hot sauce.
- Enchiladas: deep fried tortilla with a variety of toppings.
- Tortilla con Quesillo: pan fried tortillas filled with quesillo.
- Baleadas: a wheat flour tortilla filled with mashed fried beans.
- Montucas: dumplings filled with chicken or meat.
- Agua Azul: purified bottled water.
- Horchata: drink made with cold milk and sugar, jicaro seeds ground with rice and spices.
- Licuados: fruit juices, sometimes mixed with milk or other ingredients.
- Mora: blackberry juice.
- Piña colada: drink made from fresh coconut and pineapple juices.
- Honduran Ponche de Pina: pineapples, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, sugar, coconut milk, light rum.
- Giffity: liquor.
- Guaro: a sugar cane liquor.
- Port Royal: beer.
- Salva Vida: beer.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=122 />