Beef bourguignon, also called beef Burgundy and boeuf à la bourguignonne, is a well known French recipe. This dish is one example of a peasant dish that was slowly refined into haute cuisine. The particular method of slowly simmering the beef in wine, most likely originated as a means of tenderizing cuts of meat that were too tough to cook in any other way. Over time the dish gradually became a standard of the French cuisine. The recipe was first codified by Auguste Escoffier and it is still followed by people who want to prepare an authentic boeuf bourguignon. The recipe has undergone some subtle changes that adapted it to changes in cooking equipment, and available food supplies.
Beef bourguignon is a stew prepared with beef braised in red wine, traditionally red Burgundy, and beef broth, generally flavoured with garlic, onions and a bouquet garni, with pearl onions and mushrooms added towards the end of cooking.
Beef bourguignon was referred to as "certainly one of the most delicious beef dishes concocted by man" by Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
To add a photo, please follow this submit form.
- Boeuf bourguignon @ mycookinghut: Boeuf bourguignon is a classic French recipe, where beef is braised in red wine with garlic, onions, carrots, bouquet garni, pancetta/lardons (bacon), and mushrooms.
- Boeuf Bourguignon à la Robuchon @ Almond Corner: Weekends the request for lunch is always meat with sauce and if possible a lot! I guess this time I have just picked the right dish, after all what else could have been better then the French classic..
- Boeuf Bourguignon with Baguette Dumplings @ eat, little bird
- Beef Bourguignon @ Manu's Menu
- Boeuf Bourguignon with Short Ribs @ Chez Bonne Femme
- Beef Bourguignon Pot Pie | Picture the Recipe
- Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon « Eye for a Recipe
- Beef Bourguignon Recipe - a classic French casserole. A perfect crock pot dish.
- Clearly Delicious » Mastering the Art of French Food Blogging Clichés: Julia Child’s Bouef Bourguignon (Beef Stew in Red Wine with Bacon, Onions, and Mushrooms)
Beef bourguignon, en.wikipedia.org
Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon, abcnews.go.com
Beef Bourguignon, paleodietlifestyle.com