Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Johannesburg is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Johannesburg to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Biltong: a kind of cured meat that originated in South Africa.
- Boerewors: a sausage, popular in South African cuisine.
- Grilled Ostrich: grilled meat of ostrich similar to beef in taste and texture.
- Mashonzha: a South African dish made of certain worms.
- Samosa: crispy, flaked, deep-fried pastries or dumplings.
- Butternut soup with croutons: a creamy soup served with croutons.
- Mogodu: a local dish equivalent of tripe.
- Carrot and Pineapple Salad: salad made with grated carrot and pineapples.
- Coleslaw Salad: shredded raw cabbage salad.
- Spicy Rice Salad: salad made with rice, vegetables, beans and spices.
- Amadumbe: mashed amadumbe, similar to mashed potatoes.
- Bobotie: spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping.
- Braai: barbecued or grilled meat.
- Chakalaka: a spicy African vegetable relish traditionally served with bread, pap, samp, stews or curries.
- Game (South Africa): wild game meat of Africa.
- Koeksisters: syrup-coated doughnut in a twisted or braided shape.
- Morogo: wild or African spinach, used in the cuisine as spinach.
- Pap: a traditional porridge made from mielie-meal (ground maize or other grain).
- Potjiekos: a stew prepared from meat, vegetables outdoors in a traditional round, cast iron, three-legged pot.
- Samp: dried maize/corn kernels boiled into a porridge.
- Skop: the head of a cow, sheep or goat served with potatoes as a rule.
- Sosatie: skewered meat, traditionally mutton or lamb.
- Steak Johannesburg: grilled steak served with asparagus and chickpeas.
- Tomato bredie: tomato stew.
- Melktert: milk tart.
- Rusk: a hard, dry biscuit or a twice-baked bread.
- Sorbet: a frozen dessert made from sweetened water flavored with fruit, wine, or liqueur.
- Bunny chow: a hollowed out loaf of bread filled with curry.
- Amasi: fermented milk that tastes like cottage cheese or plain yogurt.
- Appletiser: sparkling drink, 100% pure fruit juice and contains no added sugar, preservatives or artificial colourants.
- Creme Soda: a sweet carbonated soft drink, in South Africa green in color.
- Mageu: drink made from fermented mealie pap.
- Carling Black Label: a very popular strong beer.
- Castle Lager: dry, bitter, never sweet pale beer.
- Hunters Gold: apple cider.
- Foundry Cider: a refreshing drink, smooth and dry in taste.
- Hansa Marzen Gold: premium beer with deep amber hue and a rich malty smell.
- Klipdrift Brandy: the premium brandy of South Africa aged only in French oak barrels.
- KWV 10yr Old Brandy: high quality brandy aged in French oak barrels for 10 years.
- Red Heart Rum: dark rum of premium quality very popular in South Africa.
- Redd's Premium Cider: drink made from apple cider with a rich fruity flavor, sweet taste.
- Richelieu Brandy: made from selected grapes, it tastes and smells as a rich bouquet.
- Savanna Dry: a brand of dry cider, brewed in South Africa from Granny Smith apples grown in Elgin, Western Cape.
- Stroh Rum: a strong spiced rum from Austria.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=59 />