Porchetta (or sometimes "porketta") is a savory, fatty, and moist boneless pork roast of Italian culinary tradition. The body of the pig is gutted, deboned, arranged carefully with layers of stuffing, meat, fat, and skin, then rolled, spitted, and roasted, traditionally over wood. Porchetta is usually heavily salted in addition to being stuffed with garlic, rosemary, fennel, or other herbs, often wild. Porchetta has been selected by the Italian Ministero delle Politiche Agricole, Alimentari e Forestali as a "prodotto agroalimentare tradizionale" ("traditional agricultural-alimentary product", one of a list of traditional Italian foods held to have cultural relevance).
Although popular in the whole country, porchetta originated in central Italy, with Ariccia (in the Province of Rome) being the town most closely associated with it. Elsewhere, it is considered a celebratory dish. Across Italy porchetta is usually sold by pitchmen with their typically white-painted vans, especially during public displays or holidays, and it can be served in a panino. It is also eaten as a meat dish in many households or as part of a picnic.
Porchetta is one of two iconic culinary products of the Lazio region, the other being the sheep cheese pecorino romano.
Porchetta from Umbria is stuffed with the pig's chopped entrails mixed with lard, garlic, salt and plenty of pepper and wild fennel. Porchetta is also very popular in France, the United States and Canada.
To add a photo, please follow this submit form.
- Porchetta « AKulinary Blog
- The Jacked Up Grill: Smoked Porchetta. You're Going to Need Some of Those Giant Elastic Maternity Pants for This One....
- We Ate That - Recipes - Porchetta
- Porchetta - Italian pork roast | Italian Notes
- The Fetishism of Charcuterie and the Meatiness Thereof: Holiday Porchetta!
- Porchetta or Rolled, Herb-Stuffed Pork Belly | CIRCLE OF MISSE
- Porchetta--For My Mother's 85th Birthday at Javaholic
- Porchetta Recipe @ Ketosis Diet - How I lost weight on this diet.
Italian cuisine, en.wikipedia.org
Eat this! Porchetta, a classic Italian pork roast, www.diningchicago.com