Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Cape Town is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Cape Town to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Biltong: cured meat.
- Cape Malay Pickled Fish: pickled curried fish.
- Mushroom tortellini: pasta stuffed with any tasty filling and garnished with chopped mushrooms.
- Pumpkin Chutney: pumpkin, apples, garlic and tomatoes in a spiced sugar.
- Roosterkoek: balls of bread dough cooked on a grid.
- Samosa: pastry stuffed with potatoes, onions, peas, coriander, and lentils, or ground beef or chicken.
- Smoorsnoek: smoked snoek, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, oil, butter, sugar, garlic.
- Vetkoek: pastry filled with cooked mince or spread with syrup, honey or jam.
- Bredie: lamb stew.
- Melkkos: a classic South African milk dish.
- Tomato bredie: tomato stew.
- Waterblommetjie bredie: lamb stewed together with Aponogeton distachyos flowers.
- Chakalaka: a vegetable relish.
- Crayfish salad: crayfish, mayonnaise, fromage blanc, tomato ketchup, dill leaves, red lettuce, spinach, sorrel, dandelion, endive, cornsalad (lamb's lettuce), Watercress (salad cress), lemon.
- Green salad: Salad made of fresh vegetables.
- Pineapple and Carrot salad: carrots, pineapple, raisins, sugar, salt.
- Bobotie: spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping.
- Crocodile sirloin: fried or barbecued crocodile fillet.
- Droëwors: dry sausage.
- Frikkadels: beef meatballs.
- Grilled Ostrich: grilled ostrich.
- Mala mogodu: tripe stew.
- Mashonzha: Mopani worms.
- Pap: porridge made from mielie-meal.
- Potjiekos: stew including meat, vegetables and starches like rice or potatoes.
- Skop: the head of a cow, sheep or goat.
- Umngqusho: a dish made of samp and cowpeas.
- Umphokoqo: porridge made of corn.
- Koeksisters: syrup-coated doughnut in a twisted or braided shape.
- Malva Pudding: sweet pudding made with apricot jam.
- Mealie bread: sweetened bread baked with sweetcorn and buttered.
- Melktert: a sweet pastry crust containing a creamy filling made from milk, flour, sugar and eggs.
- Rusks: a hard, dry biscuit.
- Souskluitjies: South African cinnamon dumplings.
- Bunny chow: hollowed out loaf of bread filled with curry.
- Gatsby: a long roll with fillings of anything ranging from polony to chicken or steak and hot chips.
- Sosaties: meat (usually lamb or mutton) cooked on skewers.
- Boerewors: sausage.
- Braai: barbecued meat.
- Amasi: fermented milk that tastes like cottage cheese or plain yogurt.
- Appletiser: a sparkling soft drink.
- Mageu: drink made from fermented mealie pap.
- Rooibos Tea: tea made from Rooibos (red bush) plants.
- Constantia Uitsig Wine: popular wine.
- Mint Julep: drink made with mint, bourbon, sugar, and water.
- Mojito: an alcoholic drink made with white rum, sugar, lime juice, sparkling water and mint.
- Savanna Dry Cider: dry cider.
- Umqombothi: a beer made from maize (corn), maize malt, sorghum malt, yeast and water.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=39 />
Call For Contributions
If not familiar with adding pages to wiki, please use the submit form to upload a dish description or photo.