Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Delhi is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Delhi to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Aloo Tikki: a dish consisting of boiled potatoes and various spices.
- Bhujia: a snack made of potatoes and onions.
- Boondi: a fried snack made from chickpea flour.
- Dhokla: a snack made with rice and chickpeas.
- Kadhi: a spicy yogurt-based gravy which often contains chickpea flour and vegetable fritters called pakoras.
- Paneer: fresh milk, food acid.
- Pyaaj Kachori: a kind of donuts stuffed with onion.
- Sarson ka Saag: a curry of mustard leaves and spinach.
- Sattu: grounded powders of pulses and cereals (horse gram, green gram, jowar, wheat, oat, barley) that are consumed along with fruit slices, sugar or milk.
- Mulligatawny Soup: a chicken soup.
- Nihari: a curry made from beef shank (rarely lamb) and spices.
- Fruit and Nut Salad: paneer, mayonnaise, canned peach, cashew nut, lettuce, tomato, tomato chutney, green chutney.
- Kachumber Salad: cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, lime juice, salt and pepper, vinegar, chili powder.
- Mooli Lachha Salad: radish, ginger, tomato, lime juice, green chili, coriander leaves, salt.
- Papaya Lachha Salad: papaya, sugar, water, cardamom essence.
- Sprouted Moong Salad: steamed sprouted moong, onion, tomato, salt, red chili, roasted cumin, coriander leaves, grounded sugar.
- Baingan da Bhurtha: brinjals, onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, red chilies, cumin seeds, red chili powder, salt, lemon juice, ghee, oil.
- Biryani: a set of rice-based foods made with spices, rice (usually basmati) and meat, fish, eggs or vegetables.
- Chole bhature: a combination of chole (spicy chick peas) and fried bread called bhatoora (made of maida flour).
- Jeera Rice: Basmati Rice, cumin seeds, onions, cashewnuts, whole peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks, ghee, salt.
- Jhinga Masala: prawns, onions, tomatoes, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt, turmeric, water.
- Khichdi: a dish made from rice and lentils.
- Lobhia: lobia, onions, garlic cloves, ginger root, scant cumin seeds, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, oil, tomato, salt.
- Macher Jhol: a fish curry.
- Murgh Makhani (Butter chicken): chicken and sauce.
- Rajma: red kidney beans in a thick curry with lots of spices.
- Tandoori chicken: roasted chicken, yogurt, and spices.
- Cham cham: a sweet made of cheese.
- Doodh puli pithe: a type of dumplings filled with sweet stuffing.
- Kheer: a sweet dish made by boiling rice or broken wheat with milk and sugar, and flavored with cardamom, raisins, saffron, pistachios or almonds.
- Kulfi: a frozen milk-based dessert, often described as "ice-cream".
- Laddu: wheat flour sweet balls.
- Lavang Latika: crispy biscuits.
- Peda: a sweet made with khoa, sugar and traditional flavorings such as cardamom seeds, pistachio nuts and saffron.
- Phirni: creamy rice-based dessert.
- Pinni: wheat flour, butter, sugar, milk, cardamom powder.
- Rabri: a dish made with dahi (yogurt), flour, and a combination of bajre ki roti.
- Rasgulla: balls of chhena (an Indian cottage cheese) and semolina dough, cooked in sugar syrup.
- Dosa: a fermented crepe or pancake made from rice batter and black lentils.
- Idli: a cake made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils and rice.
- Mirchi Bada: a spicy Indian snack consisting of chili (Mirchi) and potato stuffing.
- Uttapam: a thick pancake, usually made with tomatoes or an onion-chili mix.
- Golgappa (Panipuri): a round, hollow puri, fried crisp and filled with a mixture of water, tamarind, chili, chaat masala, potato, onion and chickpeas.
- Papri chaat: crispy fried dough wafers served with boiled potatoes, boiled chick peas, chilis, yoghurt and tamarind chutney.
- Aam panna: a drink made from green mangoes.
- Badam doodh: almond milk with nuts and cardamom.
- Chaach: buttermilk tempered with mustard seeds.
- Falooda: a drink made by mixing rose syrup with vermicelli and tapioca pearls along with either milk or water.
- Indian filter coffee: a sweet milky coffee made from dark roasted coffee beans and chicory.
- Jal Jeera: lemonade and jaljira powder.
- Kala Khatta: crushed ice topped with syrup.
- Lassi: a yogurt-based drink.
- Masala chai: a beverage made by brewing tea with a mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs.
- Mysore Nuggets: coffee.
- Nimbu pani: lemonade.
- Sharbat: a cold sweet beverage that is prepared from fruits or flower petals.
- Chuak: a rice beer.
- Hadia: a rice beer.
- Sonti: a rice-based alcoholic beverage.
|Featured Local Dishes
||Blog Feature Guideline
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=46 />