Traditional Toronto Food
Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Toronto is complete without tasting the traditional Toronto food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Toronto to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Baked beans: beans, sometimes baked, usually stewed in a sauce.
- Baked Onion Rounds: onion slices baked with honey, mustard and a sage topping.
- Carrot Potato Pancakes: pancakes made from shredded carrots and potatoes.
- Deep Fried Cheese Curds: cheese pieces, deep fried.
- Maple Carrots and Parsnips: maple-glazed vegetables.
- Beef Barley Soup: sautéed beef and simmered barley soup.
- Creamy Carrot Soup: cream-soup made with chopped carrots are simmered together with sauteed onions and sweet potatoes.
- Nippy Apple Cheddar Soup: creamy cheese soup made with apples, onions, carrots.
- Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup: tomato-onion soup, prepared with roasted garlic.
- Split pea soup: soup made from dried peas.
- Mustard Beet and Apple Salad: beet and apples with mustard dressing.
- Strawberry, Chicken and Spinach Salad: tasty salad with stir-fried chicken, spinach, strawberries and ginger-lime dressing.
- Tomato Salad with Basil Vinaigrette: mix of tomatoes, green beans, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese, dressed with basil vinaigrette.
- Beef bourguignon: stew prepared with beef braised in red wine, and beef broth, flavoured with garlic, onions and mushrooms added.
- Chicken with 40 garlic cloves: chicken sauteed with garlic.
- Corned Beef with Dijon Glaze: corned beef glazed with a mix of Dijon mustard, orange marmalade, horseradish and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Ginger Beef: deep fried strips of beef, coated in a dark sweet sauce based on vinegar, sugar and ginger.
- Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower: mixed mashed potatoes and cauliflower.
- Turkey with Wild Rice Stuffing: Toronto style turkey is stuffed with wild rice.
- Butter tart: small pastry tart.
- Clafoutis: baked dessert of black cherries arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter.
- Fruit Fool: dessert generally made by mixing puréed fruit, whipped cream and sugar.
- Grannie Gilbert's Sugar Cookies: traditional Canadian vanilla sugar cookies.
- Grilled Strawberries: strawberries placed on a skewer and heated through on a grill.
- Muffin: type of sweet bread that is baked in small portions.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal and nuts added.
- Peach and Honey Omelette: sweet omelette made with peaches, honey and almonds.
- Peach Melba: peaches and raspberry sauce accompanying vanilla ice cream.
- Sorbet: frozen dessert made from sweetened water flavored with fruit, wine, or liqueur.
- Sweet Cornbread: sweet cornmeal bread.
- Chicken Wings: chicken wing section that is fried unbreaded and then coated in sauce.
- Tourtière: meat pie, usually made with minced pork and/or veal, or beef.
- BeaverTails: fried dough pastries.
- Fish and chips: deep-fried fish covered in (breadcrumbs) accompanied by deep-fried chipped potatoes.
- Peameal Bacon Sandwich: peameal bacon on a Kaiser roll.
- Poutine: French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy or sauce and sometimes additional ingredients.
- Dandelion coffee: an infusion or herbal tea, and coffee substitute, made from the root of the dandelion plant.
- Maple syrup: made from the xylem sap of sugar maple, red maple or black maple trees.
- Ice wine: a type of dessert wine produced from grapes that have been frozen while still on the vine.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=170 />