Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Xian is complete without tasting the local food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Xian to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Pumpkin Pastry (南瓜饼, Nánguābǐng): pumpkin mixed with either flour or glutinous rice and then fried.
- Vinegar Peanuts (醋泡花生, cùpàohuāshēng): roasted peanuts poured over with vinegar.
- Intestine Soup (葫芦头, húlutóu): pig intestine broth, spice, noodles, oils and a little green garnish.
- Steamed Lamb Soup (羊肉泡馍, yángròupàomó ): lamb or chicken broth and bread.
 Main courses
- Belt Noodles (彪彪面 /冰冰面 /油泼扯面) (biāobiāo miàn/ bīng bīng miàn/yóupō chěmiàn): heavily spiced noodles.
- Qishan Noodles (岐山臊子面, Qíshānsàozimiàn): fresh meat (more often pork), vegetables and noodles.
- Soup Dumplings (汤包, tāngbāo): meat and tangy soup dumplings.
- Steamed Potato with Veggies (洋芋擦擦) (yángyùcācā or yángyùchāchā): shredded potatoes steamed with flour, spices, meat and vegetables.
- Steamed Sophorica (槐花饭*, huáihuāfàn): sophorica petals with flour and salt.
- Dragon Pastry (龙须酥, lóngxūsū): boiled and fried sesame mash.
- Persimmon Pastry (柿子饼, shìzibǐng): dried persimmon rolled in flour.
 Fast food
- Chinese Hamburger (肉夹馍, ròujiāmó): wheat flat bread with chopped boiled meat (beef or pork).
- Cold Flour Noodles (擀面皮, gǎnmiànpí): flour-based, translucent noodle with garnish-type vegetables.
- Cold or Hot Rice Noodles (凉皮(热米皮)) (liángpí or rèmǐpí): rice noodles with or without sauce/garnish.
- Personal Hot Pot (砂锅, shāguō): a hot pot with various broths and vegetables for dipping meat slices in.
- Rice Pastry (粳糕, jīnggāo): glutinous rice molded around dates or other “sweet” centre, such as red bean.
 Street food
- Roasted Sweet Potato (烤红薯*, kǎohóngshǔ):potatoes are roasted over coal or a fire until they are fully cooked.
- Veggies/Meat in Spicy Soup (麻辣烫, málàtàng): a variety of veggies and meats on sticks which are dipped into spicy sauces or soups.
 Drinks (Non-alcoholic)
- Ice Peak Orange Pop (冰岎, bīngfen): a cheap orange soda drink.
 Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Blue Horse Beer (蓝马啤酒, lánmǎpíjiǔ): this beer is a convenient addition to Xian's local “fast food”, such as the Chinese hamburger.
- West Phoenix Wine Label (西凤酒, xīfèngjiǔ): white, mellow wine.