Traditional Chisinau Food
Cuisine is an integral part of any local culture, and no trip to Chisinau is complete without tasting the traditional Chisinau food. This directory offers information about the traditional dishes and drinks available in Chisinau to help visitors better understand the local food culture and make an informed decision when trying them.
- Ardei prajiti cu sos de rosii: fried peppers with tomatoes sauce.
- Brânză: is the generic word for "cheese" in Romanian.
- Bujenina: baked pork.
- Fasole facaluite: mashed beans.
- Jambon (ham): a cut of meat from the thigh of the hind leg of certain animals, especially pigs.
- Jumări: fried fatback.
- Mujdei: spicy Romanian sauce.
- Muraturi: pickled vegetables.
- Pastrama: a popular delicatessen meat usually made from beef and also from pork and mutton.
- Răcituri: a dish in which ingredients are set into a gelatin made from a meat stock.
- Slănină: cured slabs of fatback (rarely pork belly), with or without skin.
- Vinete umplute: stuffed eggplants.
- Borscht: beetroot soup.
- Ciorba: consists of various vegetables and meat.
- Zeama: a Moldavian soup, that consists of chicken, carrot, onion, Bell pepper, celery, potatoes, noodles or rice.
- Salată de roșii și castraveți: tomato salad with cucumber, onion, dressed with oil.
- Salată de vinete (Eggplant salad): eggplant, sunflower oil, onion and salt.
- Ardei Umpluţi: bell peppers (or a similar species) stuffed with pork, rice, onion, carrot and spices.
- Chifteluțe: meatballs made from an amount of ground meat rolled into small balls.
- Coltunasi: triangular-shaped dumplings, stuffed with fresh white cheese (colţunaşi cu brînză), meat (colţunaşi cu carne), potatoes (colţunaşi cu cartofi) and cherries.
- Costita de porc: pork ribs.
- Frigărui: skewered meat.
- Iahnie de fasole: beans, onions, carrots, spices, broth.
- Invirtita: rolled dough stuffed with different types of fillings.
- Mămăligă: maize flour, boiled water and salt.
- Mititei: beef (usually mixed with lamb and pork), garlic, black pepper, thyme, coriander, anise, savory and sometimes a touch of paprika.
- Plăcintă: a Romanian / Moldovan traditional pastry resembling a thin, small round or square-shaped cake, usually filled with a soft cheese such as Urdă or apples.
- Sarmale: minced meat rolled in grape or cabbage leaves.
- Taitei: homemade noodles.
- Tocana: a stew made typically from a combination of finely chopped pieces of meat (pork mostly) and onions.
- Tochitura Moldoveneasca (Moldavian Stew): pork, smoked sausages, bacon.
- Budinca: a pudding made with cheese and pasta.
- Chisinaul de seara: candies of prunes with delicious chocolate coating.
- Clatite (Pancakes): a mix of eggs, flour, milk and salt; mostly served with different sweet fillings or savory.
- Cozonac: a plain sweet bread made with flour, eggs, milk, butter, sugar and salt to which milk, sugar, eggs, butter and raisins are added.
- Halva de răsărită: types of dense, sweet confections.
- Koliva (Colivă): wheat kernels, honey, sugar, fruit. May also contain sesame seeds, almonds, ground walnuts, cinnamon, pomegranate seeds, raisins, anise and parseley.
- Pască: a type of cozonac (sweet bread). Sometimes it is made with cheese.
- Prune uscate cu nuci: prunes stuffed with walnuts.
- Compote (kompot): refreshing drink most often made of dried or fresh fruit boiled in water with sugar and left to cool and infuse.
- Bere Chisinau: a popular Moldovan beer.
- Cabernet Sauvignon (Moldova): a famous red wine.
- Cahor: a red dessert wine.
- Chardonnay (Moldova): a white wine made from Chardonnay grape.
- Cricova Merlot: a red wine made from Merlot grapes by Cricova company.
- Divin: Moldovan cognac.
- Fetească albă: a wine made with a Romanian - Moldovan white grape variety.
- Fetească neagră: a red wine made with feteasca neagra grape.
- Fetească regală: a wine made from red grape variety.
- Negru de Purcari: a famous high quality red dry Moldovan wine, produced from Cabernet Sauvignon, Rara Neagră and Saperavi grapes.
- Rara Neagra: a red wine made from a indigenous Moldovan dark-skinned variety of grape.
- Vin fiert (izvar): a variation of mulled wine, popular in Romania and the Republic of Moldova.
Suggest new dish
<WikiThreadList forumid=21 />